Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Power of Static


Static is that noise in the background that gets in the way or interferes. The form we are most familiar with is the kind we hear however there are other kinds of “static”.

One of the latest trends in new condominiums with balconies is to incorporate a closet next to the balcony for storage, mostly for barbequing grills etc.

3 years ago when I moved in I thought this was the best way to utilize the space.

I had 2 dressers already that fit perfectly. Later on I needed more space so I put shelves on the walls to hold more stuff. I can remember taking pictures and bragging about my handy work.

After 3 years and countless trips to the closet, Tuesday I took one look at it and said there had to be a better way. I wasn't using the drawers because there was too much stuff in the way so most of them were empty. I can remember a few times when I decided it would be easier to buy new materials instead of mining through that mess to find what I needed, pathetic.

I took a step back and focused my beam on the closet. To my embarrassment, in less than 10 seconds I knew what the best approach would be. I took some measurements, and went shopping. I searched 3 places to find the best deal on what I needed.

This morning, I went to the store and bought what I needed.

That’s everything that was in the closet before. It took less than 2 hours to do, including a trip back to the store to get another set of shelves. I have more space to put more things and better yet I have access to everything making it easier to find stuff and get rid of stuff I don't need. I actually found a toolbox full of supplies I forgot I had!

The question I asked myself was, what took me so long? Do you mean to tell me I didn't have those 10 seconds to spare in the last 3 years?

I realized for the first time in more than 3 years I have had no one pulling me away from what I needed to do. During the last 3 years, I’ve put someone else’s projects ahead of my own.

Today, while I was cleaning out the closet, I looked at my watch and noticed it was about 3 pm. Usually at about this time I’m on my way to my usual coffee shop to be there for my “extended family” if they need me.

After 3 years, they have either grown away from me, left the state, or I've decided give their boyfriends and husbands the opportunity to be there for them and demonstrate their skills.

Now, for the first time in a long time, I can dedicate my resources to my own projects instead of theirs. And look at what I was able to do in 2 hours and 10 seconds.

On to the next project.






No comments:

Post a Comment