Wednesday, June 23, 2010

AAR

I only served 3 years in the Army from the time I was 18 to 21. I did another 2 years in the Illinois National Guard but that time wasn’t as substantive as my first 3. It been is about 20 years since I had a green uniform on but some of the lessons and jargon will live with me till the end. Although my opinions of what the Army is being used for now, and some of the soldiers’ attitudes, aren’t very favorable, their structure and organization is second to none. What I learned from my Army from 10-29-1986 to 1989 has contributed immeasurably to my character and success.

One of the things the Army has developed is called the After Action Review or AAR. This is a procedure for reviewing a mission, real or training, after it is completed. Although the outline for a formal AAR is specific and quite extensive, the format for my AAR is more basic. What was the objective? What did I do right? What did I do wrong? Identify the problem areas and address same.

Many years ago I made a commitment to become the best person I could be. That meant identifying problems and addressing them. I see myself as a blade in the process of being sharpened. In order to sharpen a blade, metal must be removed, but most importantly, you have to know what side of the blade the metal has rolled over so you can remove it. In reference to self, this involves paying attention in certain situations and identifying problem areas, then taking the time to address them.

I earlier today tied up the loose ends of one of the longest, most important and delicate missions I’ve ever taken on. I just completed my AAR and I think this was the best one ever. I did have some difficulties but I didn’t let them get in the way of the objective, I just fell back on my code and my mission statement. It’s just another thing to thank my Army for more than 20 years later. We did well.

To quote a long forgotten instructor "lets get ready for the next challenge"


T1 out

No comments:

Post a Comment